Saturday, June 6, 2009

Mother's Little Helpers


As most of you know, we keep hens. Six brown shavers who have never been named - they're simply referred to as "the girls". I like to let them out of their run most days so they can have a peck around the lawn and garden at what ever takes their fancy.

They do make a mess scratching mulch away from where I've carefully put it and taking dust baths in the middle of some cherished plant. But I like that we rescued them from what would have been a life in a battery cage.

They live as hens should live. Bit of company, bit of sun, bit of dust - it isn't much to ask.

10 comments:

Leah J. Utas said...

That's all I ask, too, Dawn, and the dust bit is optional.

Your hens are leading a good, full life. I'm sure they are grateful.

solarity said...

One of these years I'll have some hens to go with the wild turkeys. I see the people up the road having their hens weed the garden bit by bit, although they spend most of their time in the front yard. The rooster cannot be long for this world, though--he stands in the middle of the road and challenges the cars.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

the Bag Lady said...

Glad to see your hens scratching and pecking! We had roosters once (long, silly story) and I quite enjoyed watching them peck and scratch. Damned birds never gave us a single egg though..... *snort*! :)

Thomma Lyn said...

I love your hens' philosophy. Sounds much like mine. :) Dust is A-OK when it's on the mountain where I hike. Dust bunnies in the house? Well, sometimes they make interesting kitty toys... ;)

Your hens are beautiful, and they look so happy.

Reb said...

Good on you for rescuing the hens. I am sure that they are living a wonderful life in your yard.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Dawn,

Your posts are always interesting.

Terrie

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wendy Bailey said...

Awww how cute ^^

Kimbesa said...

Those hens do look happy! I'm always nostalgic about chickens, but have to collect chicken dishes. Cannot have live ones in my yard here.

Keeping chickens at home is coming into more prominent view...Martha Stewart has done a program about hers.

Cheers!

Dawn said...

Kimbesa - Sorry I didn't post your comment straight away. I've just activated comment moderation and forgot that I actually had to tell it to publish!

I bet your chicken dishes are a lot easier to contain then these girls!