Monday, March 31, 2008

Computers!

I believe that a few days before this latest absence I was muttering about my computer?

Well – the worst happened!

For the last few months it has taken several attempts before it would condescend to start. Oh - and turning everything on in the “correct order”. It was very particular about that.

Under no circumstances was the screen to be turned on before the box was up and humming, or the screen would simply blink owlishly at me and refuse to do anything else. On each blink I’d catch a tantalizing glimpse of the folder-cluttered desktop beyond but there was never enough time for me to click on anything.

Then, about a week ago, even doing everything in the correct order wasn’t working. It took hours to start. A heart-to-heart with the local computer repairman had already indicated that there wasn’t much point in trying to repair it. The old girl was on her way out. (The computer – not me!)

So, hand in hand with my not-very-loved-by-this-point computer, we limped on.

I saved what I could.

And then it happened. One morning she simply refused to even make an attempt. I was tempted to give her a sharp prod – well, it works with unbiddable cows – but I could see she was passed all that.

Even the screen refused to blink at me. Nothing but black glass staring lifelessly back.

I knew I hadn’t saved enough.

So, I have a new computer. We don’t understand each other very well yet, but she has shown me where my email was stored. Well, she has shown me where one email account is; another email account is up and running (except I’ve forgotten where it is!) but everything that was in it has evaporated.

I suspect she’s a bit of a smart aleck. She seems to enjoy showing me how little I really know about driving a snazzy modern computer.

She’s fast. She’s stylish. And one day, I dare say she’ll quit on me too.

I’m gonna save more this time!

14 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

Oh, Dawn. the Bag Lady can sympathize with you! Even though her computer didn't need to be replaced (yet - after all, it's only 2 years old), she knows the frustrations involved when it doesn't want to co-operate. You'll be mistress of that one in no time!

Travis Erwin said...

Good luck with here, and glad you are back up and running.

Dawn said...

Bag Lady - I knew you would understand. I had been following your computer trials knowing that my own turn was lurking just around the corner.

Travis - The new computer and I are begining to bond!

Reb said...

Dawn, I know you will master it in no time! I am dreading the time when I have to replace mine. I know that Vista is crap still, so I am hoping it will last long enough for them to get some of the bugs out.

Dawn said...

Reb - "Vista is crap still"! I really didn't need to know that!

The thing is,you get so reliant on the system you're used to. I knew where everything was. And your bookmarks! I know I needed to tidy mine up - but now they're gone. All six thousand of them!

Reb said...

Oops, sorry Dawn. Maybe they have already made improvements to Vista!

Susan said...

Dawn,

As we sit here safe and comfortable with our old computers, we just know that the unknown is around the corner...and put it off as long as possible!

I, too, am waiting. For what, I am not sure. It's hard enough moving forward when the future has a good reputation, but when it fails that? It's just more of an effort.

I'm sure you will be friends before you know it. Sorry you lost your info though.

Susan

Leah J.Utas said...

You have my sympathy. I know how traumatic it is to lose a computer, but once you adjust to the new regime you'll be fine.

Dawn said...

I sure hope so, Reb.

Susan - It's my six million bookmarks that I miss the most.

Leah - A new experience - always good for one!

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Hi Dawn,

I am so happy you are "up and running."

I have my new computer for nearly two years and still don't know how to do some stuff. It's just the way it is with computers.

Terrie

Marijke Durning said...

I'm so glad to see you!!

By the way - tag... you're it. :-)
You'll have to visit my blog to see what I mean.

I'm SO glad to see you back posting. I missed you a lot.

Speaking of computers, one of the desk tops here, one with the kids' college papers, is dead, dead, dead. Thank goodness for on-line back ups.

Thomma Lyn said...

Oh yes, the six million bookmarks... *nostalgic sigh*. I hear you. I had a hard drive crash back in September 2006 and lost most of my bookmarks because I hadn't backed them up. I also lost many precious digital pictures. Thank goodness I'd backed up my writing files. And these days? Can you say "multiple, redundant, and multiples of redundant backup sources"? Flash drive. Portable hard drive. Network backup drive. CD. Remote storage. And soon, DVD. What, neurotic about losing data...? ME...? ;-)

I'm sorry to hear that your old computer gave up the ghost, but I'm glad you're bonding with your new one! :)

Crabby McSlacker said...

My condolences--I had one crap out on me recently too. For months afterwards I kept discovering things like passwords and bookmarks and photos etc that I needed but were no longer there.

On the other hand, it is kinda fun to have something new!

And thanks for the reminder to save everything--it's funny how quickly I forget to back everything up when the new computer seems to be working just fine...

Dawn said...

Terry, Marijke, Thomma Lyn, Crabby.

Familiar faces popping up everywhere! No wonder we all love blogging.