Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The saga of the guilt ridden blogger.

I'll just sneak quietly in to my blog and hope that no one realises how long I've been away for.

(a deafening silence)

(slightly louder) I said I'll just ...

Hello? Is anyone out there?

You've all gone. Can't say I blame you. Oh well, I just ramble onto myself here.

Puppy update. Four of the puppies have now left home. None have gone very far - two are in one home about three hundred metres down the road and two are about five kilometres away. It was kind of nice that they went in groups of two. It would make those first few lonely nights bearable.

We've kept two boys - Bruiser and Jem. Bruiser was hubby's choice for his next pig dog and we kept Jem because he's big and backward and shy. Most of the others were full of attitude but Jem's personality is well hidden and no one chose him. He's a nice wee fellow and will shape up with time, so with us he'll get that time - and a bit of understanding if he really is as thick as he looks sometimes!

I promised to divulge all about my internet business. I'm developing a site with a group called Site Build It and have been impressed with how much help and support they give. (No- they didn't pay me to say that!) Don't get me wrong - it is me that has to do the work but they have so much behind-the-scenes technology. I can't help but think that it just might suit some of the folk who used to post here regularly. If you have something you want to sell (like bags!), or have knowledge that other people might want to learn (like how to make bags!, or quilt, or write, or be a journalist, or have medical knowledge, or - anything), then it could be helpful if you wanted a web business.

Or even if you were a crab with a desire to build a world empire!

It cost me three hundred and something US dollars and if I don't succeed, it won't be their fault. Their motto is to over deliver and they certainly do. There is a forum where you can get help and they have quite a few rather nifty stat counter thingies. No wonder I like it! Their guides (written and video) help you to develop a niche site. I think it is the lack of a niche that stops so many blogs from making much money. Only a few of the top ones seem to do well.

I've got about forty pages up and am heading towards 200 or so! At some point, when I have the traffic, I will monetise the site. Eventually, I'd like to turn it into a web-shop. So - that's what I've been doing. Just letting you know so that if it was a path anyone wanted to go down, you know that Site Build It are genuine. (Google their name and you'll find them.)

My site is called Probiotics - LoveThatBug (link in sidebar) but it is a long way from finished with a few great glaring holes in content. But I'm getting there and enjoying the process.

So, I'm writing madly but not fiction!

I think I will be "closing" the blog as I simply don't have enough hours in the day, and then I feel so guilty when I don't blog for ages. Does anyone know how you go about closing up shop in a neat and tidy way? I'd rather just visit other people's blogs.

I'm thinking of just having a "goodbye" post and leave comments on for a few more days and then just switch comments off and leave the blog. Is that the way to do it?

Anyway, I hope a few of you discover I've resurfaced.

18 comments:

Chris said...

Eh? What's that? There's an echo in here.

Hang on, it's someone else! Hi, Dawn!

Dawn said...

Hi Chris! I do hope I didn't leave you locked in the blog for the last month. Can a person survive on cream filled apple donuts for a month!

Crabby McSlacker said...

Oh no, no more flightless writer?

Well, I'm eager to visit your new venture, but will really miss coming here.

Perhaps you could keep it around, with a note that you don't know when you'll be back? Then if you had a change of heart down the line (or more puppies or another novel to tell us about) you could pop over to our places and we'd know to come visit.

Even if it were just a few times a year. Doesn't seem like you're taking up too much room in the vastness of cyberspace to worry about an inactive blog!

Okay, off to check out probiotics! (I had my yogurt this morning, so I'm feeling very Pro-probiotics myself.)

Thanks for keeping us posted. Sigh.

Travis Erwin said...

Yep, still here. Hate to hear you are giving up blogging, but I do understnad there are only so many hours in the day.

Penelope said...

DON'T FLY AWAY FLIGHTLESS WRITER!!!

I don't mind checking in and seeing if you've returned. According to Karen, the "job" thing can be quite taxing. Like I've told her, you ought to just quit. Raise your standards above this "work" stuff. You have better ways to occupy your time other than earning money.

Anyway, I hope all is well with you. Do you think I could sell Sadie on my blog via your new business? What do you think I could get for her???

-- P

Dawn said...

Crabby - You're right, I'm NOT taking up a lot of room in cyberspace. Pehaps I could just sit here. I wonder about a monthly post and I could have a mesage right up front saying that's what it is and don't waste your time visiting inbetween.

I don't really want to finish because it does always gladen my heart when I see you all pop up out of the bushes when I resurface.

I just feel so damn guilty because I know some people check each day and I feel I'm wasting their time. They don't have any more hours to play with than I do!

Travis - Might be coming up with a solution that isn't quite so final. Nice to see you again. (It feels a bit like a reunion!)

Penelope - I doubt that you could sell Sadie. Under the Fair Trading Act you would have to reveal her tendency to barf everywhere. How many people do you think want her?

the Bag Lady said...

Dawn! The Bag Lady is so happy you are back, and she thinks it's a splendid idea to keep the blog and just post occasionally! We would miss you too much, otherwise.
If you have a minute, check into my blog and find my email address there and contact me, please - I need to tell you a secret...(ha, that oughta make everyone else wonder, eh?)

Dawn said...

Checking in, Bag Lady.

Reb said...

Dawn, I think keeping it open and just posting when you have time is get option. Like all the rest here I agree we would miss you too much if you just left. Checking out the new site now.

www.thebeanbag.wordpress.com said...

It would be sad if you shut this blog down, I like checking out what the local bloggers are up to - even if it's only occasionally!

Marijke Durning said...

Dawn!! Listen here!!

What on earth do you have to feel guilty about?

I admit, I'm one of the ones who checked almost every day to see if you've posted, but geez woman - it took all of 5 seconds. If I can't spare 5 seconds of my life to check in, then there's something seriously wrong with my life

We need your little corner of the web - no matter how often or how rarely you post.

So there. ;-)

(By the way - glad to see you)

Adrienne said...

You think we'd leave you? We've been sitting here patiently waiting for your return!

But I get the wanting to close shop thing. Blogging can become ridiculously time consuming. Anyway, it's pretty simple, write a little goodbye message and leave. I wouldn't get rid of the blog entirely, because the posts are still a good read, and people will stumble upon it on occasion. And you never know, you may want to come back some day!

I'll miss your web presence Dawn, it was really cool getting to be your blog buddy (and all because I taught you how to delete a comment lol!)! But let's stay in touch, and I am so determined to visit New Zealand sometime soon, so hopefully someday we'll be able to meet in the flesh!

Big virtual hugs! (and so cool you kept two of the puppies, man I want a dog!)

Adrienne said...

PS: Just awarded you a "Roar" award. Check out my blog for the details!

Dawn said...

Reb - Hope you enjoyed the new site. Still lots to do.

Beanbag - A local! Kiwi bloggers seem to be a rare breed - most of my friends don't even know what a blog is!

Marijke - You computer obviously does things faster than mine does! You must have trained it right.

Adrienne - I suspect I'm going to become a once a month blog. Anyway - coming over to see what "Roar" award is!!!

alex keto said...

welcome back. stay awhile.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Dawn,

No need to leave.

We all check in now and again and if you tell us that once a month or so is what you can do, then we'll check once a month or so.

It's up to you, of course, but we are a very non-demanding group.

Hugs, Terrie

Thomma Lyn said...

Dawn! I'm happy to see you -- I've missed you. :)

ACK, I'd hate for you to close up your blog! Even if you didn't want to blog here at all anymore, you could leave the blog as it stands. It's a great read.

And I'd love to see you be a once-a-month blogger. You're on my blogroll, and I'll continue to pop in and see what you're up to. :)

I checked out your new site! It looks great, and I've bookmarked it so I can peruse it regularly. :) Best of luck with it!

Clare2e said...

I agree with some of the others. The blog can be how you define it. I'd rather see people post very occasionally than feel so bad they drop out entirely. I want updates on the adventures of the Flightless Writer, even if they're sporadic.

Stay on the Coconut Wireless and we'll be happy whenever you have the chance to pop up.

Congrats, too, on the new venture and much luck with it!